Brian shares his expertise on capital defense, habeas corpus and the death penalty in Georgia.
- The importance of responding to the injustices within the criminal justice and capital punishment systems.
- Constitutional violations that led to the wrongful conviction
- Reduction of death sentences handed out
- Federal habeas corpus appeals and overturning cases
- History of Habeas corpus and due process
- Lack of resources for poor Georgians
- Current death row statistics and impact of the Georgia Resource Center
- The capital punishment system is embedded within a racist culture
- Influence of national “tough on crime” culture
- Mercer University’s ABS Project
- Resources to get involved:
- Georgians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty,
- Southern Center for Human Rights,
- Georgia Resource Center
Support Inclusion Catalyst by donating to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/inclusion-catalyst