In this episode, nonprofit consultant Jess Cooper sits down with 2004 Olympic silver medalist Maritza McClendon to discuss diversity in sports. They break down how Maritza’s experience growing up as a black female athlete gave her a platform to help give athletes of this generation a voice. They address:
- How Maritza’s involvement in swimming has evolved since becoming the first black woman to make a US Olympic swim team and medal.
- The importance of integrating DEI efforts throughout an organization.
- The misconceptions about DEI in sports representation.
- Creating safe spaces for all members of a sports community.
- Being an advocate for and giving voice to the current generation of black athletes.
Support Inclusion Catalyst by contributing to their Tip Jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/inclusion-catalyst